Welcome to our website. The Department of Radiology at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is a dynamic academic enterprise with diverse clinical, educational, and research initiatives. Our major strengths include:
- Diagnostic radiology residency and fellowship training programs
- One of the largest Radiological Sciences Graduate Degree Program in the US
- The only defined Radiology Resident-Ph.D. Program in the United States
- Implementation of an inaugural Professional Doctorate of Medical Physics program- the first in South Texas
- Innovative research laboratories that produced the Vascular Stent & Endothelial Cell Research of Dr. Julio C. Palmaz, the inventor of the Palmaz™ intravascular stent ; Biomolecular Nanoparticle Imaging and Therapeutic Systems and the Oncological Imaging and Interventions Research
- Clinical trial projects that study investigational drugs or devices which are an important part of the process to assure the safety and efficacy of a drug or device
Our primary clinical partner is the University Health System. Together we provide care for the citizens of south Texas. We are part of UT Medicine of San Antonio and our imaging centers are located at The Medical Arts Research Center known as the "MARC “ and at the Cancer Therapy and Research Center (CTRC).
The partnership between our medical school and our collaborating facilities creates a stimulating environment that fosters professional growth and development for “Team Radiology” members and for each of our clinical, educational and research programs.
I invite you to continue browsing through our website to learn more about our missions and academic practice. It is my hope that at the end of your visit, you will come to realize that the Department of Radiology at UTHSCSA does in fact- “Practice What We Teach”.
DEPARTMENT OF RADIOLOGY MISSION STATEMENT:
To develop, promote and integrate advances in imaging technology and imaging-based therapeutic procedures into the clinical, education and research missions of UTHSCSA. The fundamental principles of each of the missions are as follows:
- Practice at the leading edge of radiology
- Deliver all services in a professional, timely, and efficient manner
- Establish ourselves as valuable colleagues and consultants to referring physicians
- Ensure safe and appropriate utilization of diagnostic and interventional radiological services
- Provide an excellent, well-rounded educational experience in imaging, image guided therapy, radiological science, and radiological research for medical students, residents, fellows, and graduate students
- Educate our colleagues about the availability, proper use, and associated risks of diagnostic and interventional radiological services
- Contribute to the education of the medical community and public through presentation and publication of original research and educational materials
- Perform well-designed, high quality research in imaging, image guided therapy, and radiological science that will broaden the understanding of disease processes, expand our diagnostic and interventional armamentarium, and have significant impact on patient care
- Present and publish scientific research that will receive national recognition and make a lasting contribution to the medical literature
- Educate and train residents and graduate students in the scientific methods of medical imaging research to promote future progress and improved patient care